Manslaughter of white man (Vonelle Cook) punched after saying "nigger"
The manslaughter of white man (Vonelle Cook), punched after saying "nigger" occurred on May 4, 2021 when 77-year-old white male victim Vonelle Cook was punched by 27-year-old black male Corey Ellis Pujols.
|Manslaughter of white man (Vonelle Cook) punched after saying "nigger"|
|Location||Dunkin', 410 S. 50th St., Tampa, FL|
|Coordinates||27°56′53″N 82°24′04″W / 27.9479628911816°N 82.40117657241248°W|
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Date||May 4, 2021 |
Corey Ellis Pujols
Cook had went through the Dunkin' drive-thru, but due to a mistake with his order began arguing with employees and eventually entered the store. There, he called Pujols, the manager of the Dunkin', "nigger," and after Pujols dared him to say it again, he did, which caused Pujols to punch him in the head.
Cook was hospitalized and later died of his injuries due to a skull fracture. Pujols was initially arrested on a battery charge and released on bond, but was later re-arrested for manslaughter after Cook's death.
Initially, the media was unable to report the victim's name or identifying information due to police withholding it due to a conservative interpretation of Marsy's Law. Later, the media was able to identify the victim via court documents.
Cook was a registered sex offender who spent five years in prison for luring teen boys into his home with comic books, video games and candy and performing sexual acts.
Social media defense of Pujols
Black social media users came to Pujols's defense, calling him a "king" and justifying Pujols's punch as self defense with lines like "White people using the nword and subsequently killing black people isn't new."
Some social media users linked to a GoFundMe for Cook, which is currently unavailable and seemingly taken down by the company.
We obtained the following relevant court documents from the Hillsborough County, Florida court case search:
- File:CaseNumber 21-CF-005450-A.pdf
- File:CaseNumber 21-CF-005269-A.pdf
- File:CRIMINAL REPORT AFFIDAVIT FILED WARRANT SERVED db5a877e-cfd8-4855-955c-c552aa71c23d.pdf
- File:FIRST APPEARANCE DOCKET PAGE 98298359-3ec3-4771-b3c8-20065feaccef.pdf
- File:MOTION TO REDUCE BOND OR ROR ea682342-af9d-487c-a531-a7bbb03e4457.pdf
- File:NOTICE OF HEARING 8f6027e4-5490-46b9-b2c2-a430246acbba.pdf
- File:CRIMINAL REPORT AFFIDAVIT FILED d7c8c839-2af2-44bf-9a41-7f5e979e321c.pdf
- File:SURETY BOND POSTED 6988e07f-6ca4-46f7-b2e5-3172373a28e4.pdf
- File:O R D E R A P P O I N T I N G P U B L I C D E F E N D E R 87ef53e4-7e3c-462a-8ac0-08e7a48bb489.pdf
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://patch.com/florida/southtampa/despite-racial-slur-state-attorney-upholds-manslaughter-charge
- ↑ File:CaseNumber 21-CF-005450-A.pdf
- ↑ File:CRIMINAL REPORT AFFIDAVIT FILED d7c8c839-2af2-44bf-9a41-7f5e979e321c.pdf
- ↑ https://weartv.com/news/local/report-florida-dunkin-employee-punches-kills-man-who-called-him-a-racial-slur
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/2021/05/25/victim-in-fatal-tampa-dunkin-punch-case-identified/
- ↑ https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/twittersphere-justifying-fatal-punching-of-77-year-old-by-dunkin-donuts-employee/
- ↑ https://www.gofundme.com/f/wqu2gj-stand-by-corey-pujols
- ↑ https://hover.hillsclerk.com/html/case/caseSearch.html