Murder of Caitlyn Kaufman
The murder of Caitlyn Kaufman occurred on December 3, 2020 when 26-year-old white female Caitlyn Kaufman was shot and killed while driving to work by 21-year-old black male Devaunte Hill and 28-year-old black male James Edward Cowan.
|Murder of Caitlyn Kaufman|
Victim Caitlyn Kaufman
|Location||Right shoulder of I-440 between West End Ave and Hillsboro Road exits, Nashville, TN|
|Coordinates||36°07′44″N 86°48′57″W / 36.12901306°N 86.81591146°W|
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Date||December 3, 2020 |
6:05pm to 6:10pm
|Victim||Caitlyn Kaufman, 26-year-old white female|
Devaunte L. Hill
James Edward Cowan
Caitlyn Kaufman, a nurse who worked in the Intensive Care Unit at Saint Thomas West Hospital, was driving to work on I-440 in Nashville, TN on the evening of December 3, 2020. Some time between 6:05pm and 6:10pm, Kaufman's car was shot six times while she was driving.
At least one of the shots hit Kaufman, killing her. According to a Davidson County Medical Examiner, Kaufman "was killed by a single gunshot that entered her left shoulder and likely died within 15 seconds."
According to local news WZTV, it was the third time that a nurse working at Saint Thomas West Hospital had been murdered in the past four years.
At 6:15am on December 11, 2020, Devaunte L. Hill, a 21-year-old black male was arrested at his apartment by a SWAT team and charged with the murder.
It was discovered that Hill had a lengthy criminal past, including four attempted murder charges stemming from when he was a juvenile, and attempted to murder his family after his grandmother and mother woke him up for school and he didn't want to go.
On January 6, 2021, Nashville police announced they were looking for a second suspect, James Edward Cowan, who was placed at the scene of the crime by cell phone data. Cowan was arrested by police on January 12, 2021, where they recovered "2 pistols, one-half pound of marijuana and 5 grams of a white powder" from Cowan's vehicle.
Like Hill, Cowan had a long list of prior convictions to his name, including robbery, firearm and drug possession, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and evading arrest.
- ↑ https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2020/12/12/caitlyn-kaufman-shooting-what-we-know-suspect-devaunte-hill/6514317002/
- ↑ https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2021/01/06/james-edward-cowan-named-suspect-nashville-nurse-caitlyn-kaufman-interstate-shooting/6571527002/
- ↑ http://dcso.nashville.gov/Search/Details/949633?searchType=Person
- ↑ http://dcso.nashville.gov/Search/Details/950769?searchType=Person
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 https://twitter.com/MNPDNashville/status/1337430851722899459
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2020/12/07/nashville-nurse-caitlyn-kaufman-shooting-case-metro-police-update/3862211001/
- ↑ https://fox17.com/news/local/third-nashville-nurse-working-at-st-thomas-west-found-murdered-in-four-years-crime-tennessee
- ↑ https://conandaily.com/2020/12/12/devaunte-lewis-hill-biography-13-things-about-black-man-who-shot-caitlyn-kaufman-in-nashville/
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/james-cowan-idd-as-2nd-suspect-in-caitlyn-kaufmans-killing
- ↑ https://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/10507/Second-Suspect-in-Murder-of-Nashville-Nurse-Caitlyn-Kaufman-Arrested.aspx